Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Who, in your life, expects you to be somebody?

From Brandi Carlile:
All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don't mean anything
When you've got no one to tell them to

The book Vital Friends asks who, in your life, expects you to be somebody?

What are the vital relationships that keep you "tethered" (my word) to the world, that keep you connected & engaged because they have expectations of you? What relationships keep you motivated and give your life context? Without them we wouldn't contribute to the world in the same way - we'd lose meaning.

So while you're figuring out how you invest in yourself, you have to realize THAT investment doesn't happen in a vacuum. The outcome of that investment depends on your relationships with others.

Soooo, who EXPECTS you to be somebody? And what do they expect you to be? And how has it effected you?

My daughter once told me, "Mom, I want you to be happy." I want to work hard to live up to that expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment